No Power Friendly Meals
Living through an extended power outage can be pretty miserable, especially if you don’t have a portable or automatic home backup generator. You have limited use of electronics, and depending on the weather, it can either get a little chilly or uncomfortably hot in your home. But to make matter worse, you may not have use of your stove if it’s electric, which limits your food choices. Not to worry; Generac has been dealing with power outages since 1959, and in doing so has managed to gather a few simple, delicious, family pleasing recipes to share. If you don’t have a home backup generator, check’em out!
Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches in diameter)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 small bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, if desired
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter evenly over each tortilla. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the honey over each tortilla. Top with banana slices and chocolate chips.
- Roll up tortillas. Secure with toothpicks.
Roast Beef and Cheddar Rollup
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 head romaine lettuce, tough ribs removed
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 ounces Cheddar, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and horseradish. Spread evenly over each tortilla.
- Layer the tortillas with the lettuce, roast beef, and Cheddar and roll up.
Tuna Salad with Sunflower Kernels
- 1 head romaine lettuce (1 lb.), torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 can (5 oz.) white tuna in water, drained, flaked
- ¼ cup sunflower kernels
- ¼ cup lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Layer all ingredients except dressing in large bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing just before serving.
Chef Salad with Turkey and Jack Cheese
- 1 large head Boston lettuce
- 1 pound sliced roasted turkey breast, torn into pieces
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts or pea shoots
- 6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips (1 cup)
- Divide lettuce among four serving plates; top with turkey, avocado, sprouts, radishes, carrots, and cheese.
- Add your favorite dressing, and serve.