When writing your review, please consider the following guidelines:
- Prior to providing a review, refer to a product’s documentation to ensure that unit is being used and maintained properly
- Alluding to issues incurred in the wake of negligent maintenance or improper use will void review submissions
- Focus on your experience with the product and its features
- Provide details about why you liked or disliked a product
- Reviews submitted for products other than those listed will be rejected immediately
- Any product reviews referencing independent authorized dealers, service providers, or retailers by name will NOT be posted. (Dealer reviews can be provided here)
We reserve the right not to post your review if it contains any of the following types of content or violates other guidelines:
- Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
- Advertisements, “spam” content, or references to other products, offers, or websites
- Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, product serial numbers, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
- Critical or spiteful comments on other reviews posted on the page or their authors
If you wish to share feedback with us about product selection, pricing, ordering, delivery, or other customer service issues, please do not submit this feedback through a product review. Instead, contact us directly.
Enjoy writing your review!
Rated 5 out of
Strong and loud
I've had this generator for about a year and have 25 hours on it. I had an electrician wire in a 50A, 240V breaker / interlock and I back feed my main panel to run my house. Here are my impressions so far.
1. 10kw is enough to run my whole house, including central air and an electric dryer (not at the same time).
2. The power bar is a handy way to tell how much load is on the generator. I don't have any way to confirm it's accurate, but assuming each bar is about 2kw, most of my usage is in the 2-3 range (4 to 6kw) w/ typical lights, refrigerators, appliances. I'm happy I have this model and not a smaller one.
3. I've checked voltage and frequency during use from one of the outlets in the house. Under light load, the voltage is 122-124, and Hz ~61. Under full load, that drops to 118V and 59Hz. Based on some internet searches of specs for power companies, this is acceptable for voltage, and maybe OK for frequency.
4. Big fuel tank and long run time.
5. So far, it's been reliable. I exercise it for about 1 hr per month, and use fuel stabilizer. Trickle charge the battery as needed too.
6. A good value. Most "10kw" generators are actually 8kw, w/ 10kw max. This one is rated at 10kw, and 12.5kw max, so you're getting an honest deal.
1. It's loud, and there is no idle control, so it's all or nothing. Generac - I would have gladly paid more for a quieter version of similar output.
2. It's a physically large unit, and heavy. Not really a con, but measure your storage area to make sure it fits.
I bought my generator from an authorized dealer. Two of my friends also have the same unit, and one of them broke down after 50hrs of use. He bought online and struggled to find a repair shop that would fix it under warranty. I think the small premium I paid (<$100 over the cheapest online deal) was well worth the dealer set up and peace of mind in knowing I have a local dealer for repairs.
I also considered one of the inverter generators, but after some research, went with this standard model. The voltage and frequency seem to run within a narrow range, and its my understanding that most modern electronics have a transformer power supply that cleans up the power anyways. IMO, the inverter is a nice to have, but not necessary. After a year of use connected to my house, none of my appliances or electronics have shown any ill effects.
Overall, I'm very happy, and buying a generator has guaranteed we won't lose power any more.
Date published: 2020-06-02
Rated 5 out of
This unit far exceeds most available units.
Disclaimer: I'm an electrician. I purchased a used (70 hour) unit for a good price. The XG1000E has run perfectly since I acquired it. It backs up a 100 Amp electrical service with no issues. It runs the central air conditioner or the hot tub with no problems, and the usual refrigerators, microwave, TV's and computers. The only thing I did was change to synthetic oil when I purchased it. I run it quarterly and keep the gas tank full with Stabil added. They say you either get a good one or a bad one .... I got a good one.
Date published: 2020-05-21
Rated 4 out of
Received XP10000E today. Had couple issues.
Unboxed XP10000E today. Found box of hardware opened and looked beat up but everything intact. Generator itself ok. Assembled everything without any issues. Added oil and ethanol free fuel. Cranked short time and fired up. No problems. Will follow up review after it gets used a few times. Issues I want to address is fuel line at tank had Green clamp on it but was low and not clamping line to tank nipple. I fixed this. Next was wiring coming out of box above dip stick that was causing fuel line to almost crimp shut but obviously not. It still ran. Last issue was green clamp at shut off valve that was same as gas tank, not on line over valve nipple. I have pics. Even with these issues I am still happy to have generator.
Date published: 2020-05-06
Rated 5 out of
Owned since summer 2014
I’m using this for most of the house through a 50amp manual transfer switch in the garage. The XG10000E is semipermanent mounted in my shed with custom exhaust through the wall to a automotive muffler and motorcycle baffles in tailpipe. It does a great job during power outages. Runs essentials that include water pump, AC, furnace, refrigerator, freezer, TV, and Ham radio station. Due to harsh Ohio winters I have a heat pad on the bottom frame to keep oil warm. Heat turns on when it drops to 20 degrees. I also have a Battery Tender on the battery. I’m on my second battery. Also exercise once each month. Nice peace of mind unit.
Date published: 2020-05-04
Rated 1 out of
Not happy with purchase!
Purchased about 3 years ago. Used a couple of times for miscellaneous stuff, worked great. Start up every weekend and service. Never really had to use for power outage until recently. Went to start, took several tries to start and after it started it started blowing oil out of muffler. Took for service and tried it and it worked fine. Three days latter needed it for another outage and it would not start, and began pouring fuel out of canister near rope pull. Since I purchased, battery died and had to replace within first year, choke & fuel shut off switches broke, oil out of muffler & gas pouring out along with $300 of service. Was great until I needed it.
Date published: 2020-04-28
Rated 5 out of
Very pleased with my generator, especially the ease in which it starts
Very pleased with my generator and the ease in which it starts electrically. Although I have yet to put it into service - home backup power - I sure it will be fine.
Date published: 2020-04-25
Rated 2 out of
I bought the 10,000 and used it for a year and it was flawless. Decided to buy a second as a backup and it blew oil out the side the minute we took it home. The dealer repaired the generator with the same issue, even replaced the engine. This took 4 visits and about a year.....the entire warranty period. Still having issues with it. The dealer disclosed that you either get a great one or a lemon and Generac's method is to bleed the warranty and leave you with the garbage. Hope you buy the great one. Do not recommend.
Date published: 2020-03-09
Rated 5 out of
21 year old Generac 10000, single digit temperature, starts on the 2nd pull
Bought this 21 years ago, I have not started it in 9 months, it has been extraordinarily COLD and I started thinking about: what if our power goes out. turned on the gas and as usual, it started on the second pull. Amazing. If this ever quits working, I will but another one!
Date published: 2020-02-20
XG10000E is rated